Thursday, October 6, 2011

Progress and setbacks

Our opening day is coming up... tomorrow in fact!  We are super excited about it and have been working hard to get everything ready.  Almost 500 invitations have gone out.  We have made a  lot of little tweaks and adjustments to the land to make everything look good and run smooth.  We have had a ton of support and encouragement from really great people!

Unfortunately we had a bit of a setback sometime between 8:30 and 10 pm SLT on Wednesday night. Someone came onto our parcel and tampered with a number of items.  Some got returned to our inventories and others have vanished.  It was somewhat odd... some of the subscribomatic boards and the electronic message boards had been returned to my inventory.   The stage deck and the plants that were on it were gone but the tip jars, steps and kites that were attached to the stage were still there.  (I had hoped that somehow the missing items had gotten returned to GMetal's inventory, but they did not.)  The solo dance  ball and some trees and plants had been moved.  When I discovered this well after midnight, I did a bit of exploring to figure out what had happened.  The individual had joined our group, but the members of the group do not have privileges to allow them to return items.  When I spoke to an estate manager, she told me that there are third party viewers and tools that can allow the person to bypass settings in order to grief other users.  I had a couple of friends who happened to be  on line talk me through making sure that there would be no long term effects of this episode.  I also banned the individual from the land and ejected her from the group.  I ended up IMing with the individual who denied any knowledge of the episode although I think that is untrue.  As soon as this morning came along, I let GMetal know what had happened. Unfortunately after he left, I discovered a few more items that are missing including our main couples dance ball.  I know from talking to others that things like this can happen.  I am sure that it won't be the last time as we have every intention of keeping our place free and open to the public.  I am definitely learning how to secure things and do my best to make sure that this doesn't happen again.  It doesn't make sense but I am not gonna let it slow me down.  It is just stuff and stuff can be fixed or replaced.  That being said, if you have insight into this situation or ways to avoid similar things, please drop a notecard in world or send an email to us.

In the meantime... second round of invitations will go out today and we will be spending some time putting everything back together and making sure items are locked and such.  We will be opening on time and we are still way excited about all of it.  Except the griefing.  I just keep telling myself that those people that would consider doing such things are the minority and the people that have offered support are so amazing.   I have every intention of focusing on the positive and doing my best to make sure the jerks don't have much to work with in our world.  The opening will be wonderful and we are very very excited about it!  We hope to see you all there!

1 comment:

  1. Thea, could someone (a passerby, or a griefer, perhaps, or maybe the group member you have pinpointed) have rezzed something big enough to put your prims over your parcel limit? That will auto-return random items, and you might find they have been returned as a coalesced group (not linked, but grouped together) to your inventory. You would then find them in your inventory Lost & Found with a "crumbly cube" icon.
    Intans and other dance devices are notoriously easy to lose, always buy copy only animations.
    Cait once rezzed a ship, for reasons only she could explain, and all of Idle Rogue was returned to my inventory ... the night before my birthday and a full day of events!

    ReplyDelete